March 30, 2012

Throwback Book Review : The Giver

Jonas's world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear of pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the community. When Jonas turns 12 he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back.

So I have not been a reader for most of my life. I decided that I would go back and read many of the books that I should have read in high school (I may have used sparknotes for most of my book reports. I mean really. Who wants to suffer through Crime and Punishment?). My 5th grade teacher read this book to me. I didn't remember any of it. I am ashamed that I had to have help to find it in the library. It was in the kid's section :)

Favorite Character: Jonas. He is a classic kid. Emotional, innocent, and energetic. I love to see his transformation from beginning to end.

Sexual Content : A few references to "stirrings" or sexual emotions.
Violence : This is what makes me wonder how old a kid should be before they read it. (I was 10 or 11. After looking around the general age I found was 11.) A child is killed by injection.
Language: None.

This is a pretty controversial book mainly because it is a children's book. I think as a parent it is important to know what our kids are reading so we can help them understand controversial themes. I love this book because it is all about choices. We are safe without them however, it is impossible to truly live and feel without them. The pain of life is worth it because we are able to love and be loved.

I give it


and


Only because I didn't like the end. Happy reading!

No comments: