July 16, 2012

Hi. I'm a recovering quitter.


Whatever this guy in the picture was feeling right before he jumped off this cliff best describes how I felt last week every time I sat down to the piano.  Let's back up a bit so you can understand completely.

I have a bad history of quitting.  In my teenage years I began running track.  Which I then quit so that I could play volleyball.  But then volleyball conflicted with softball so I of course quit volleyball.  And to finish off my circle of ridiculousness I quit softball.  For track.  I should have stuck with track.  If I had I might of had a ticket booked for London right now.  I could say that I had wonderful reasons for quitting so many times.  In the beginning I'm sure that my motives were pure, however, in the end I'm certain that I chose track because there were good-looking boys with their shirts off half the time.  Multi-gender overnight trips.  Need I say more?  What is ironic was that I never quit basketball.  It was the season I dreaded the most and had to work the hardest at. Maybe  I never quit because the only sport it conflicted with was cheerlearding.  And is that really a sport anyway?? (By the way.  It was the other way around in this case.  I quit cheerleading for Basketball.)

There were not many things growing up that I had to work extraordinarily hard for but  I always longed to know how to play the piano.  Turns out I am not a natural.  Though I wanted to play I never put in the time to practice.  I never really stopped playing the piano, but I only took lessons for a couple of years.  Because I quit.

Fast forward to the present.  I got a very unexpected opportunity to accompany some girls in church.  I figured the song was only three lines long if I couldn't do it,  I was just plain lame.  So I said yes.  Which lead to "getting ready to jump off a cliff feeling" every time I sat down to practice.

I had never accompanied anyone or even played the piano in church. I knew there were people who I could ask 5 minutes before the girls were going to sing, and they could walk up and do it no problem.  I wanted to just quit.  I was way stressed out and wondered if it really mattered if I pawned it off.

Today I am officially a recovering quitter.  I did it.  I played that song, I messed up a couple of times, and I just kept going.  And it felt good. When it was over.

 And if you please.  Don't ever ask me to do it again.

1 comment:

Suzy said...

Haha, I love this. Thanks for playing :)