September 30, 2011

Barefoot and Pregnant.


Yea! I'm not pregnant anymore!
And my baby is getting significantly
older and more predictable.
So my brain is becoming a little less scatterbrainy.

Plus more time for posts!
So this is probably the only picture you will ever get of him on this site.
He's pretty cute right? HECK YES!!

Down to business
I am cleared for exercising again and you may recall a post about running barefoot?
I have been wanting to try it out for sooooo long.
But due to weather (and that whole being pregnant thing..)
I have had to wait.
Well now I can experiment. And I am so excited.
In fact.... I did my first day of experimentation today.

WOOOOEEEE! It was fun!
I felt primitive that is for sure.
Primitive and completely light.
It was weird and exhilarating.
Vulnerable. So far away from home without a single thing on my feet.

I only ran for 4 songs on my i-pod.
Everything I have read has said to start out short because :

1- Your body is not used to it. Naturally when running my form changed completely. No more running on my heels. Strictly toes and balls of my feet. Which means using lots of calve muscles. Hello burnnination!

2- Dainty feet syndrome. Lets just say after the adrenaline wore off and I hopped in the shower I realized that my dainty little feet were slightly raw. Not to much to really bother me but enough to start building up some calluses. Which will be essential for me to be able to go farther in the future.

So over all I feel good about it. Really the only soreness I have is in the arches of my feet and my calves. So that's not too bad.
I'm not a huge running fan but I like to go out at least 2 times a week so we will see how it goes!

(By the way. I have ditched the shoes altogether. I haven't been using them during any of my other workouts as well. Feels good right?)

Oh. And if you want all of the great results of running barefoot, but not have to worry about the bottoms of your feet go for the Vibram Five Finger shoes.

I would love them. But they will have to wait until my hubby graduates and gets a rockin awesome job!

Happy New Adventures!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Kari! My brother has those five finger shoes. He loves them. Glad that you get to run again though.

By the way, I've given you The Versatile Blogger Award. Feel free to stop by and pick it up if you'd like.

http://dancesdishesanddreams.blogspot.com